Just today, I received this explanation of how Dr. Bob went through the first 3 steps. I thought that it blended very nicely with what we are doing in our 12 Steps in 4 Hours meetings.
This is Steps 1, 2 & 3 as outlined in a handout currently used at Dr. Bob’s house in Akron OH.
(This is the written outline. More specific “action” instructions are provided when visiting in person & ask for Ray G. who was the archivist there.)
( REVIEW )
* ( Step One ) – Yes or No:
( a ) Have you learned and have you fully conceded to your innermost self that you are an alcoholic?
( b ) Do you have any reservations or lingering ideas that one day you will be immune to or UNAFFECTED by drinking alcohol?
* ( Step Two ) – Yes or No:
Do you believe, or are you even willing to believe, that there is a power greater than you?
* ( Step Three ) – Yes or No:
( a ) Are you convinced about Steps One and Two?
( b ) Are you convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success?
( c ) Are you convinced that your troubles are basically of your own making, and that they arise out of you and that you are an extreme example of self-will run riot?
( d ) Are you convinced that you must be rid of this selfishness?
( e ) Are you convinced that your selfishness is killing you?
( f ) Are you convinced that there is often no way of entirely getting rid of self without a Higher Power’s aid?
( g ) Are you convinced that you have to have a Higher Power’s help?
( h ) Are you convinced that you have to quit playing the role of a Higher Power – that it never worked?
( i ) Are you convinced that a Higher Power is going to be your Director, Principle, Father and Employer?
( j ) Are you convinced that you have thought well about taking this Step?
( k ) Are you convinced that you can at last abandon yourself utterly to a Higher Power?
Are You Ready To Take Step Three?
Step Three Prayer:
God I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!
Important – Please remember, as the Big Book says at the end of Step 3, NEXT we launch out on a course of VIGOROUS action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision (Step 3) was a vital and crucial step (so it’s important), it could have LITTLE PERMANENT EFFECT (it doesn’t amount to much) unless AT ONCE (immediately or now) followed by a STRENUOUS EFFORT to face (where we face these things is in Steps 4 – 6), AND to be rid of (where we get rid of these things is in Steps 7 – 9), the things in ourselves which had been blocking us (we can’t turn our will and our lives over to the care of God until we get unblocked from doing so by immediately and quickly working Steps 4 – 9). Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions. (From http://www.justloveaudio.com in “free resources” under Steps 2 & 3)
Steps 4-9 — Instructions:
Firstly, in this format, the healing comes with the sharing, not the writing. Any writing can be done by the sponsor, the sponsee but, it is not necessary. Also, nothing should be written which have legal ramifications. Anything illegal, etc., should be shared with someone who is bound by the rules of confidentiality. The sponsor asks the questions:
- List the people, institutions or principles that you are resentful towards.
- List your fears, which may or may not be connected to the resentments.
- Harms: where have you been selfish, self-seeking, dishonest, jealous, envious, bitter, inconsiderate, false pride, greedy, irresponsible, lazy?
- Briefly describe the circumstances. Do the turnaround/realization/.
- Where am I at fault? Where am I to blame? What are my mistakes?
- What should I have done instead?
- If harmed: are you willing to forgive? If not, are you willing to ask God to help you be willing? If I am unable to change the present state of affairs, am I willing to take the measures necessary to shape my life to conditions as they are?
- Are you ready to overcome your fear with faith? How could I trust God?
- If you harmed, are you willing to make amends?
- Are you willing to have these defects removed?
- Pray the 7th step prayer.
- Discuss the amends. Commit to doing them as appropriate. What should I have done instead? What do I need to do to straighten out the past? What behaviors will convince them more than my words?
Steps 10 -12
13. Step 10: process and explanation. Continue to take personal inventory and set right any new mistakes. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonest, resentment and fear. When these crop up, we ask god at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance is our code.
14. Step 11: process and explanation. Suggests prayer (talking to God) and meditation (listening to God). Are you willing?
15. Step 12: be of service and carry the message. Practical experience shows that nothing will so much ensure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other addicts.
After going through the steps, everyday: say first, second and third steps. Say the third and seventh step prayer. Practice steps ten, eleven and twelve by: daily Inventory and making amends promptly (step ten); prayer and meditation (step 11); make contact with another recovered alcoholic and helping another alcoholic (step 12).