Tradition Five: Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the
alcoholic who still suffers.
1. Do I ever cop out by saying, “I’m not a group, so this or that Tradition doesn’t apply to
2. Am I willing to explain firmly to a newcomer the limitations of AA help, even if he gets
mad at me for not giving him a loan?
3. Have I today imposed on any AA member for a special favor or consideration simply
because I am a fellow alcoholic?
4. Am I willing to twelfth-step the next newcomer without regard to who or what is in it for
5. Do I help my group in every way I can to fulfill our primary purpose?
6. Do I remember that AA old-timers, too, can be alcoholics who still suffer? Do I try both
to help them and to learn from them?